Deep Ecology and Spiritual Awakening

• Dietrich
  • Dietrich 's Avatar Topic Author
3 years 2 months ago #914 by Dietrich
Deep Ecology and Spiritual Awakening was created by Dietrich
Introduction
"And a woman spoke, saying, Tell us of Pain.
And he said:
Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.
And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy;
And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.
And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief.
Much of your pain is self-chosen.
It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity: For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen, And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears.-“Pain”, from “The Prophet”, by Kahlil Gibran

Whether you’re seeking more interconnectedness, or not, I’m going to challenge you to explore this exercise. I’d like you all to take a leap of faith. Here’s a practice I do, based strongly off ‘Deep Ecology’, which helps a lot I believe. I started exploring this because I feel there is a need for human self-realization and the interrelatedness of all systems of life on Earth, which we are undoubtedly a part of. It seems this need is even greater.

The first element to discuss here is the Systems Theory, which essentially explores the whole being more than the sum of its parts. Think of a person, a family, and a community. Also consider the flow of energy between various parts of the system in an interdependent relationship. If you’ve ever relied on anyone else other than yourself, you’ve already had some experience with this.

The second element expands on the first, and is commonly called Gaia Theory. This takes the Systems Theory and applies it further to apply to the whole world, Gaia. Scientists have indeed noted feedback mechanisms which balances temperature, oxygen, etc. In a very real sense, we are all a part of this world. It’s time to explore and deepen your understanding of this connection.

I will provide exercises in parts as needed to space this out so you’re not overwhelmed. Comment, ask questions, and share. In part 1, you can use one or multiple of these depending on preference.

Part 1.1: Opening through Breath
Breath is our most fundamental element through life, and so it is fundamental to connect to life. It reminds us that open systems are constantly in flow, not stuck at any given point, and are instead dynamic and ever-changing.
Begin by sitting, standing, laying, however is most comfortable for you. Here you will take the time to experience the sadness in the world. There is some. Right now it doesn’t matter what, just take the time to feel it. Set a timer for 5-10 minutes. Begin a deep and steady breathing pattern, observing the in-breath and out-breath without judgment, without prejudice. Do this steadily, and allow the pain, heartbreak and sadness that you observe in the world and around you to pass through you. At the end of the time take a few more minutes of breathing to steady yourself. Write down your experience, talk about it with someone, do what you need to release.

Part 1.2: Opening through Body
All around us there are toxic wastes, world hunger, global warming and climate change. We are besieged by masses of signals, and because of this barrage, it can be hard to register everything. The toxins we have absorbed into our tissues, our muscles, throat stomach and digestive systems, our lungs, everywhere. But still too we experience joy: taste, sight, sound, texture, and movement that all connects us to the world, tangibly and viscerally.
Begin by standing, and take a few moments just to breathe evenly. Then begin to stretch; stretch your fingers and toes, your hands and feet. Stretch your calves and forearms, upper arms and thighs. Stretch your shoulders, stretch your hip. Stretch your core and your chest and your back. Rotate and move your joints, roll your shoulders and release the burden that rests on them. Acknowledge the scents around you, listen to your surroundings. What tastes are now on your tongue? What do you feel, from your clothes to the floor to the wind brushing your skin? Now dial it back from your senses, relax your joints, release your muscles. What you feel is real; trust your body, trust your senses.

Part 1.3: Opening through sound
Sound and music can set moods, change brain waves, distract, focus, a multitude of things. We even acknowledge this in a word: “universe”, the “one verse”; all is woven of vibrations. Here we’ll practice “sounding”, letting the air flow of air pass through us in open vowels of ah’s and oh’s, then relaxing them in closing sounds like mmm.

Begin by sitting, standing, laying, whatever is comfortable. Set a timer for up to 5 minutes. Regardless of your faith, bear with this. We’ll be using the “Om” of Hinduism for its ease of use in this. Begin chanting it with longer and longer sounds of “oh” and “m”. Let the sounds deepen, feel the vibration deep in your chest. Allow this to open your lungs with deeper breaths, clear your throat. As you do this, reflect on things, focus on the moment. This can help you to provide even clearer communication.

Part 1.4: Opening through silence
With so much input, sometimes it’s nice to just sit in quiet, not looking at computers, not driving, listening to music, and whatever else this life throws at us. Sometimes in silence we hear all the better.
For this, just sit, eyes open, eyes closed. Turn everything off, turn away from the phone and computer. Set a timer if you like, perhaps 5-10 minutes. This is the point to pose a question, putting it out to the universe, and to reflect on it in silence; or, simply remain open to any messages which might come your way. After your opening, discuss some of that, the answers to your questions, messages received or reflections you had. Just be open to the thoughts and ideas which are presented in the silence and by others you may share this exercise with.

If you would like to share anything in your opening, or if you have questions, you are welcome. Put them out here, or you can discuss privately with me if you prefer. The floor is open, and you are welcome. Of course, if you prefer sharing is not necessary, just an option; I only ask you remain open to this experience, and those in the explorations I will bring up following. Thank you.

Sources include “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran and “Coming Back to Life” by Joanna Macy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Setanaoko Raven

Start your path today

Our community is not roleplay and we recognize that life is not as black and white as the fiction. We welcome people from all backgrounds who have a thirst for learning and improving themselves and the world through the unique lens of the Force.

Join Today