FA's failure to communicate

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #1652 by Lotus
  1. I want to go into something to get some discussion/feedback from peeps.Communication has never been easier for people, with phones and internet and so on, yet never have we been so bad at communicating. People can no longer just be people, with thoughts and ideas and beliefs. With so many differing people, there is hate, there is prejudice. But this is an extreme fringe, not a norm. But people today identify this as the norm, and take up the "us against the world" mentality. We draw lines, set our side vs. there side, and so on. Go figure. In an age where knowledge of hate crimes and the effects has never been so prevalent, it's natural to take a defensive posture.
    But at some point the minority group being targeted escalated. Everyone with a differing view is now "the other side", sometimes even to the extreme of any view not directly in line wither theres is the other side. Granted, everyone is entitled to there opinion. But now the defense has turned into offense. It's no longer even another opinion, it's bigotry and hatred. And in the midst of the pushback, now everyone on "the other side" suffers the same as the bare minority that is a true threat. No alternate views are heard anymore. They are kicked out whenever and wherever possible, and then those views get misrepresented and the line becomes all the more solid.

So the people pushed on "the other side" gravitate more willingly towards that. Now they are angry, unheard, betrayed, cancelled. The fight escalates, both sides push more, and the whole repeating pattern does nothing but create a larger gap with only burned bridges. Now the side first threatened has become the side doing the threatening.

2. [9:01 PM]Violence begets violence. At this stage in the game "the two sides" are most often aggressive and adversarial, on a good day. Neither "side" is excused from this. But this is the point where any true communication is always hardest, and at its most crucial all at once. Is what was said truly bigotry or hatred, or was it perceived wrongly? When "the other side" has been pushed out, is what they said being even further misconstrued, like a game of telephone? Targeting people is targeting people, and is its own form of bigotry and hatred, and will guarantee the mentality continues.Albert Einstein said "peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved through understanding". But often today no "side" even tries to understand. I know it's hard as hell for me. But if we all continue to exist in our own little corners, we don't better ourselves, we don't cross that line and eventually stamp it out by crossing, and we don't learn from each other and grow. People are allowed there opinions, people are allowed there beliefs, just as much as people are allowed to exist as they are, because our opinions and beliefs are as fundamental to our being as anything is. Take that away because you believe (however rightly or wrongly) that the other side is stamping on who you are, and you are as bad as "the other side" at that point. Or, open up a line of communication, talk to people, understand where they're coming from, and then even if your opinions are polar opposites, just by getting to know the other guy you come away better. A long time ago I was constantly at odds with Vandor; I can't even remember about what, because I was finally able to bridge the gap and talk to him and we came to an understanding. Anyone can do it. It's not easy, it's not fun. Especially at this point first instinct is to fight-fair enough.

3. [9:01 PM]So back to the opening: communication, in short, is critical. And we all suck at it. What can we each bring to this table right now to start bridging some gaps? Who else will sit with me to open these lines of communication honestly, and with good intention?

--Lotus--
--Dark Master--
--Head of the Dark Aspect--
--Founder of the 8th Dynasty--
The following user(s) said Thank You: vincent causse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Setanaoko Raven

Start your path today

Our community is not roleplay and we recognize that life is not as black and white as the fiction. We welcome people from all backgrounds who have a thirst for learning and improving themselves and the world through the unique lens of the Force.

Join Today