My Aversion to "Jedi Master"

More
3 years 6 months ago #898 by Arisaig Winterthorn
So, hot take with Arisaig time... I do not like the title of Jedi Master.

Now I, myself, am only a Knight. And I am training towards Senior Knight... but dread the day that the title of Jedi Master is ascribed to me.

Why? Because of its implications as a name.

The Jedi Path is a long one. A lifelong one oftentimes. And, with current structures, the title of Jedi Master is seen quite often... and oftentimes it is self ascribed to those whom have started a new training Order, rather than being earned.

I know some of my aversion to the title is born from the fact so many people whom are very openly not Jedi (don't adhere to Jedi ideals, openly identify as trolls, or work actively to tear down the community or even singular members out of spite) hold that title. And, deep down, I don't want to share it with them.

But beyond that, the title of Jedi Master implies something. Mastery of Jedi.

And, to me... this is not a Path anyone can master.

So, really, I find the title little more than an ego boost, and may even encourage those that hold it to fall into the Pitfall of Stagnation. I know that is not the case across the board... but it is the case often enough.

So... my proposal? No more Jedi Masters. As is, most ranking structures within the Jedi community go as such:
Knight
Senior Knight
Jedi Master.

But... would it not make more sense to instead call Jedi Masters "Master Knights"? Instead of implying mastery of the Jedi Path, it shows experience as a Knight.

Just my thoughts. What do you think of such?

May the Force guide this discussion.

Knight of the Jedi Conclave, TotJO, and Order of Kyber
Jedi Battlemaster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Setanaoko

Start your path today

Our community is not roleplay and we recognize that life is not as black and white as the fiction. We welcome people from all backgrounds who have a thirst for learning and improving themselves and the world through the unique lens of the Force.

Join Today