TheDude's Musings

• TheDude
  • TheDude 's Avatar Topic Author
3 years 2 months ago #989 by TheDude
TheDude's Musings was created by TheDude
Assignment: Shadow Tenets (Taken from this thread, linked)

Assignment 1, Part 1: Definitions
1) Personal Responsibility: Taking ownership of one’s own actions and responsibilities, and the consequences of those actions; not placing blame on external circumstances for one’s own behavior.
2) Perspective: A point of view held by an individual, uniquely, which reflects their own understanding of a situation or idea.
3) Balance: Retaining awareness of multiple perspectives, consequences, and purposes involved in a situation or idea; not adhering strongly to one position to the point where others are ignored.
4) Awareness: Focused attention directed outward or inward, which can be held generally or can be held in regard to a specific stimulus.
5) Mindfulness: A state of mind where one is centered on the present moment, aware of both internal and external factors without passing judgment on those factors.
6) Context: Circumstances and surrounding factors which assist in providing a means of understanding a given stimulus or response, be it a word, phrase, behavior, thought, etc.
7) Complexity: The degree to which a situation, idea, system, philosophy, etc. has a multiplicity of factors.

Assignment 1, Part 2: Applications
1) Personal Responsibility
(a) I take personal responsibility for my actions while sparring in martial arts by not injuring my training partner and by adjusting my performance to their level as much as possible.
(b) I take personal responsibility for my actions by not denying that the negative consequences of my actions are my own fault.
2) Perspective
(a) I keep perspective in mind while discussing politics by not assuming that my own positions are objectively correct for everyone.
(b) I keep perspective in mind while reading poetry by trying to imagine the point of view of the author in order to appreciate their poem.
3) Balance
(a) I remain balanced by watching news networks of different political persuasions when I am interested in a news story.
(b) I remain balanced by talking respectfully with those who I disagree with.
4) Awareness
(a) I demonstrate awareness while driving by keeping track of the traffic around me.
(b) I demonstrate awareness while doing martial arts by paying attention to the strategies, strengths, and weaknesses of my training partners.
5) Mindfulness
(a) I practice mindfulness by paying attention to the sensations in my body as I feel strong emotions coming on.
(b) I practice mindfulness by staying focused on the task at hand when I have work to do.
6) Context
(a) I pay attention to context while reading fiction in order to understand why characters behave the way that they do in specific situations, mainly by remaining aware of the story as it is told.
(b) I pay attention to context while analyzing my own responses to stimuli by seeking to understand what stimuli bring about certain emotional responses in me.
7) Complexity
(a) I remain aware of complexity by not trying to put forward single-factor analyses of issues.
(b) I remain aware of complexity by searching for factors outside of my control when deciding on a course of action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TheDude
3 years 2 months ago #998 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic TheDude's Musings
Please login to view the answers

• TheDude
3 years 1 month ago #1012 by TheDude

• TheDude
3 years 1 month ago #1023 by TheDude

• TheDude
3 years 1 month ago #1031 by TheDude

• TheDude
3 years 1 month ago #1033 by TheDude

Moderators: Setanaoko Raven

Start your path today

Our community is not roleplay and we recognize that life is not as black and white as the fiction. We welcome people from all backgrounds who have a thirst for learning and improving themselves and the world through the unique lens of the Force.

Join Today